We all need an easy recipe to make long days less stressful. This onion soup recipe, featuring Better Than Bouillion, is one of my favorites (and not just because it tastes amazing!). Be sure to save your onion bags to make a dish scrubby that you can use to clean your crock-pot when you’re finished. Check back, as I’ll be sharing a DIY on this soon!
When I prepare this soup, I occasionally I like to add fresh kale and minced garlic to change things up a bit but this base recipe is spectacular as is. When serving, I recommend toasting some sliced French bread (on the diagonal) to enjoy with it.
- 6 large onions (large dice)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 3 packets of unflavored gelatin
- 3 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon seasoned vegetable base
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large sauté pan add onions, olive oil, salt, pepper and cook over medium-high heat until translucent
- Add two cups of water to onions and stir in 3 packets of unflavored gelatin, 3 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon seasoned vegetable base, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp onion powder
- Add onion mixture to 6 cups cold water in crockpot
- Stir well
- Cook on low overnight or while you are at work (approx 8-10 hours)
- Serve with toasted French bread