The fear and devastation natural disasters can bring have been around for millennia. In the last century, as man has become increasingly dependent on technology, preparing for natural disasters has become more intricate.
Let’s face it, our business world runs on electricity and without it there is little we can do . . . or is there?
As much as each of us would like to think that a natural disaster would never happen to us personally, the very real threat of fire, earthquakes, wind damage, snow and ice storms, tornadoes, hurricanes and drought exist. The question is, how are we prepared to take care of our tech, how many of us communicate with our friends and loved ones, in dire situations?
I hope that these tips help you consider how you prepare yourself and your family and help you keep the lines of communication open when you need it the most.
- Know how to charge your phone in an emergency
- Understand more about Protecting Your Gadgets
- Have a Technology bug out bag
- Create a Family Disaster Plan
- Create an Emergency Contact Information List on paper and laminate it.
- Buy a small and portable weather alert radio.
- Download apps that will help you keep your social/website/blog updated on the go like WordPress, Drupal, Blogger, Hootsuite.
- Before sharing faulty information or photos on your current emergency, check your sources.
- Have seal-able plastic bags handy to protect your mobile devices and one filled with rice just in case any of them gets wet.
- Have a communication backup plan for your family and your business.
What tips or advice would you add?
What technology products or services have helped you in an emergency?