Reddit user ProZacDose posted in self.offmychest how he felt like a failure as a father because he was going to have to explain to his children why the electricity and water wouldn’t work and why they weren’t going to have a Christmas. He shares “Christmas is now here, and my kids are asking me why we don’t have a Christmas tree? How am I supposed to tell them that we can’t afford one?”
Just when you begin to wonder if we are all so consumed by our own lives that we aren’t really connecting to each other online . . . something like this happens.
Seriously, I’ve been reading the comments with tears in my eyes as the Reddit community shares stories, asks how they can help and prove that we get it.
girlinthecity started the generosity with offering to pay ProZacDose‘s past due water bill, then illaqueable offered to help make a dent in his power bill. . . the next thing you know, there is nearly $10,000.00 raised for this struggling father of 4. The first $6000.00 was raised in an hour!
As trashedtalker said : “onions, onions everywhere.”
Seriously, get a box of tissues before reading that thread.
Here are just a few comments from this amazing online community.
- ProZacDose[S] “Wow you are all so amazing!!! Just an update the water bill has been paid in full and almost all the power bill is paid!!! Only thing left is left over rent and I honestly don’t think I can take anymore help I don’t even know where to begin! I’ve been choking back tears all day I am in shock”
- Baron_Rogue “Same here. Merely hours ago I was throwing up in my mouth at how rude certain redditors were being to a legitimate astronaut, and now I have tears in my eyes from other redditors going above and beyond for a complete stranger.Great analogy for life in the end… amazing people jumbled in with garbage, and a wild ride throughout.”
- Time4fun22 : “There is no reason for me to blow five dollars on a coffee when there are so many better things I could do with it. These donations aren’t one rich person donating half the money, its everyone donating their donut money and pocket change.”
- JoelBlackout : “You, and most people in this thread, inspire the hell out of me. I have tears in my eyes right now because you’re restoring some of my often wavering faith in humanity. I’m not really a religious person, but god bless you.”
- junipervera2 : “OK this goal is done! Here are a few more people needing help: here is someone selling stuff on etsy for money
What acts of kindness have you seen/participated in online?
How have you been shocked by kindness of strangers?